On my short 20 minute walk home from class, I encountered 4 incidents of careless, insensitive behaviour of human beings. Four.
- People leaving their empty coffee cups on tables despite there being a garbage bin 5 steps away.
- Almost being run over by a car that sped through a pedestrian crosswalk. If I hadn’t looked before I crossed, I definitely would have been hit.
- A car parked directly on the sidewalk, blocking the whole path.
- A giant group of friends taking up the whole 2m-wide sidewalk and forcing me to walk off onto the dirt unless I wanted to walk into one of them.
- This happens to me quite often, actually. Whenever I’m walking with a friend and I see someone coming in the opposite direction, I make space by walking either in front of my friend or behind my friend. It’s not hard to do it for a couple seconds, come on…
It actually made my walk home a very sad one, when I realized how few, truly caring people there are out there in the world. I’m not perfect, and nobody is perfect, but I always try and put others before me whenever I can, whether it be letting them go into the line first if we both get there at the same time, or helping out if I can, but sometimes, it just makes me feel sad when I’m always trying to give to people, but others never even try. I feel good when I give, and that’s why I do it, but when others don’t do the same, I can’t lie, it does make me a little sad.
Sometimes I just wish I could do something about it. Like, I wish I could inspire people to change for the better, and convince them that thinking about others sometimes is better, but people always tell me that it’s human nature to be greedy and put ourselves over everyone else. But for my entire life, ever since I was little, I have always felt like that was so wrong. It just never made sense to me.
I know people always say “don’t try to change others, let them be who they want to be,” but what if they don’t realize that they’re hurting others by being that person. I feel like sometimes people do need to be criticized, and I feel that people need to learn to accept criticism and be able to learn from what other people try and teach them, instead of becoming angry, hurt and offended.
I have never meant to hurt anyone with my words, and if I found out that I did, I would feel so guilty, but sometimes I just want to help, but they don’t realize it.
I guess what I’m trying to say is that I don’t believe that it’s human nature to be greedy. I think that’s just what society has made us believe, and warped our minds into thinking that way. I know that it’s important to take care of ourselves before trying to take care of others, but that doesn’t mean we still can’t try to help others to the best of our ability.
If you’re reading this, I hope you’ll be able to understand my thoughts and share them with others, or at least take it with more than just a grain of salt. Because, I believe that there are still kind humans out there, and I just don’t want them to end up becoming a victim to society’s harsh world, and having lost another person who contributes to what little faith in humanity I still have.